Looking for July social media ideas? We’ve got them in bucketloads in this post. It’s filled with Social Media Holidays for the month of July in 2020. We have social media post ideas, video ideas, GIFs and more for you!
BY DONNA MORITZ | UPDATED JUNE, 2020
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
This is a big post full of popular, national and international holidays for the entire month of July. We’ve also added some weird and wacky (and lesser known) days of celebration for July. There’s over 60+ different ideas in this post to keep you inspired.
So now you have calendar ideas for every day of the month of July, but also ideas for weekly and monthly holidays too. There are tools and ideas for you to come back to for ideas to at any time later on.
What Comes With our July Social Media Ideas
Here’s what you should expect in this post full of July Social Media Ideas:
- you’ll find a handy reference guide plus infographic so you can quickly grab social media holidays for the month.
- an overview of a complete month of July social media ideas. This includes ideas for what to create and how to share the content. We’ve focused mainly on ideas for social video and GIFs but many of the ideas can also be used for image posts.
- a bonus list of awesome tools and resources that will help you to create visuals for dozens of Social Media Holidays. Our Social Media Content Calendar will help you!
You can check out our other monthly social media ideas posts here:
Tips for Prepping Your July Content Quickly
Creating content can be time-consuming, but scheduling content ahead helps you streamline the process. Do a few of these things and it will make it soooo much easier for you.
The idea is to get a whole month’s worth of content ready – created, scheduled, and prepped to post, in a snap. Here’s my tips for doing that, especially related to creating video:
- Use templates to make it easier: Many DIY Design tools include templates to get you started. Use them! Yes you can design from scratch yourself, but as a non-designer this could take hours. It’s easier to use a design template that an actual designer has created and then edit it to customize it. Edit the text, the stock imagery/photo/background video, colors or fonts. Keep it simple. Don’t change too many elements or you’ll ruin the design.
- Use batching. If sit down and create one video or image or GIF, why not more? Your time can be used more efficiently when you create content in batches rather than one by one. Once you open up the tools, make the most of it.
- Create social video for your social networks– start with short, social video – 15-30 seconds is long enough for most social media platforms. Progress to longer videos or YouTube length long-format video when you’re ready.
- Create content that audiences love consuming. Think about what we love to share and engage with – questions, quotes, how-to videos, handy tips or just some fun, observational humour.
- GIFs to add personality to your posts – so create them. I’ve added tips for doing this below), You can also find GIFs from Giphy’s huge library of GIFs. GIFs are great for adding to social media posts, blogs posts, emails or messages. They add a punch of humour and personality to your storytelling. Be sure to share directly from Giphy to give credit and views to the creator.
Quick Guide Infographic to July Social Media Ideas & Holidays
Here’s a quick reference guide to July Social Media Holidays in 2020. Share it or save it to Pinterest for later reference:
Tips for using this post filled with July Social Media Ideas
- Create social videos around the holiday in question – do a Top 5 list, a how-to video, behind the scenes content (related to one of the holidays), tutorials, or quote videos. Get creative with it! Is it Donut Day? Do a video about Fun Donut Facts! Use one of the video tools below.
- Create GIFs that reflect the holiday in question. Or share a GIF direct from the library in Giphy
- Create images based around the holiday in question – it could be a quote, or a meme, a saying, tip, or photo that reflects the celebration day or image with text overlay.
This post will focus mainly on social video, GIFs and animations, but remember that you can use all of this information to create images too. You’re only limited by your imagination!
I’ve included some tools and tips below to help you to create July content. Let’s dive in!
July Social Media Ideas and Holidays 2020 – Calendar Days
I’ve included at least one “day” or holiday for every day in this July list of social media ideas and holidays. We’ve also included hashtags, tips also included hashtags, tools, tips and resources for creating visual content in 2020.
1. Canada Day – Oh Canada, Our Home and Native Land…. Today is Canada Day so it’s all things Maple Leaves, Maple Syrup, Moose and Mounties! Use #CanadaDay #CanadaDay2020
2. World UFO Day – Whether it’s a conspiracy about Area 52 or a UFO Meme or maybe a question about favourite extra-terrestrial movies or a quote from the X-Files … today is a good day to post about it. It’s #WorldUFODay
3. International Plastic Bag Free Day – Today is all about creating a Plastic Bag Free World. See the official website here. Use the hashtag #PlasticBagFreeDay
4. Independence Day – Today marks the 4th of July – a huge weekend celebrating America’s Independence Day in the US. Use #FourthofJuly. It also happens to be Alice in Wonderland Day. Here’s an interesting article about why the 4th + Alice are a good fit.
It’s also National Country Music Day and National Barbecued Spare Ribs Day. Sounds like a good day for country music and ribs on the 4th of July!
5. Bikini Day – Today is Bikini Day. Here are some fun facts about the two-piece bathing suit!
6. International Kissing Day – It’s time to pucker up for Kissing Day – break out your best kiss Memes or the best kisses of the movies. Find out more here. Use #KissingDay.
7. World Chocolate Day – This is what we have been training for. #WorldChocolateDay. If you can’t find something to post about Chocolate on World Chocolate Day then … we can’t be friends.
8. Chocolate with Almonds Day – Because we are still recovering from Chocolate Day yesterday. Also it’s Coca Cola Be a Kid Again Day – obviously a marketing campaign but sounds kind of fun.
9. Call of the Horizon Day – Today is all about the feeling you get when you look into the distance at the horizon and into the unknown. It’s about big dreams and adventure and is a great day to go after your dreams and make a plan to make them happen. It’s also Fashion Day (US) so break our your couture
10. Pina Colada Day – Hurrah for the humble Pina Colada… and all of it’s coconut-y, pineapple-y goodness. It’s also National Kitten Day (because Kittens).
And it’s Don’t Step On a Bee Day. If you care about the world then you should care about Bees. Today is a day for raising awareness about bees and their role in the food chain and the environment. Find out more here. Use #DontStepOnABeeDay or #BeeGoodtobees.
If you need a Pina Colada recipe to share, we’ve got you covered…
11. World Population Day – World Population Day is about focusing attention on the urgency and importance of population issues in the world. It was established by the UN in 1989. Find out more here.
And just for fun, it’s also Cheer Up The Lonely Day #CheerUpTheLonelyDay. And best of all, it’s Mojito Day. #MojitoDay. Cheers!
12. Malala Day – Insert #MalalaDay – Find out more about Malala’s Story here and how she inspired the UN Special envoy for global education, and change for girls. Her story is amazing. This is just one of her quotes:
I created this quote video in minutes with Wave.video.
13. National French Fry Day – Who doesn’t love French Fries? Use #NationalFrenchFryDay in your social posts.
It’s also Embrace Your Geekness Day. Shout out about your inner geek with pride.
14. Bastille Day – National Day of France or Fête nationale. It’s a day of celebration and fireworks. Find out more about the history behind Bastille Day here.
Today is also Shark Awareness Day #SharkAwarenessDay.
15. Give Something Away Day – Today is about giving something away that is weighing you down or you don’t need anymore. Use #GiveSomethingAwayDay.
16. Personal Chef’s Day – If you’re lucky enough to have a personal chef then today is the day to make them feel special. Completely unrelated, it’s also World Snake Day. Find out more about our slithery friends, here . I’m more than happy not to see them out in the wild. Living in Australia makes that decision for me!
17. World Emoji Day – #WorldEmojiDay is perfect for your social media posts on just about every platform. Engage with your audience about emojis. They are sure to have emojis that they love and hate all at once.
Fun Fact… do you know why they chose the 17th of July as the date to celebrate World Emoji Day? If you don’t know, then watch this video. And then maybe share it with your audience as it’s a good one! And did you know what the most popular emoji was in 2018? The Face-palm emoji! ?You’ll have to watch the video for the other top place-getters and I am sure they will come as no surprise ?!
?Oh, and it’s also Hot Dog Day. So make sure you post a Hot Dog Emoji too!
18. Nelson Mandela International Day – In memory of the great achievements of Nelson Mandela, today is #MandelaDay. It’s also Get to Know Your Customers Day #GetToKnowYourCustomersDay.
19. National Daiquiri Day – Is it time for a cocktail yet? Today is Daiquiri Day.
20. National Lollipop Day – Fun and sweet, it’s #NationalLollipopDay today. It’s also Moon Day (in honor of the day the first day man walked on the moon).
21. National Lamington Day – have you heard of a Lamington? Well, you’re in for a treat. It’s an Aussie dessert created by the chef to Queensland’s eighth governor, Lord Lamington to feed unexpected visitors. It’s been honoured with it’s own day since 2006. Oh, and it’s a yummy sponge cake dipped in chocolate sauce and then dipped in coconut.
22. National Hammock Day – Today is a day to put up your feet and swing from a hammock. #HammockDay.
23. Gorgeous Grandma Day – Today is all about celebrating our Gorgeous Grandmas. If you’re looking for more July Social Media Holidays try Hot Enough For Ya Day and then today is also Vanilla IceCream Day.
24. National Tequila Day – it’s always a good day for Tequila and today is a definitely a great day to break out a margarita on #NationalTequilaDay. It’s also Amelia Earhart Day to remember the American Aviation pioneer and author, as well as Tell an Old Joke Day.
Break out your Tequila and Margarita GIFs. I love this one from artist, designer and animator (and cool GIF-Maker) Tyler Resty. Share it on the link below and check out his website here and Instagram account here.
25. National Wine and Cheese Day – Break out the Shiraz and blue cheese… today is made for Wine and Cheese.
26. Aunts and Uncles Day. Today is a day to celebrate our cool Aunts and Uncles!
27. Today it’s Creme Brulee Day. The perfect dessert with the perfect “cracking” opening act! Enjoy.
28. Today is National Milk Chocolate Day. Isn’t every day chocolate day?
29. Global Tiger Day – is an international day founded by the WWF (World Wildlife Fund) to raise awareness for the protection and preservation of our tigers. Find out more here. It’s also Chicken Wing Day. It’s also Cheesecake Day –
30. International Day of Friendship Day – Today is a day for celebrating friendships. Find out more here on the official UN site, and use #InternationalDayOfFriendship to post on Social. it’s also Chilli Dog Day, held on the last Thursday in July.
31. National Avocado Day – From guacamole to avocado toast, today is all about the humble green avocado. It’s also Mutt Day so celebrate your favourite pooch today or share a post about dogs on social media. It’s also Talk in an Elevator Day (held on the last Friday in July). If the sound of awkward silence in an elevator is worse than the awkwardness of speaking for you, then today is a day to maybe break the rule. Say hi to someone. Or post it as a challenge on social media.
Let’s finish with the biggest question of them all. How do you pick a ripe Avocado?
And of course, there are easier ways to work out how to ripen an Avocado. Try some of these tips!
July Social Media Ideas and Holidays – Calendar Weeks & Months
Use this list of July month-long holidays to fuel your social media ideas, along with the week-long and day holidays:
- Independent Retailer Month
- Cell Phone Courtesy Month
- Lasagne Awareness Month
- Lost Pet Prevention Month
- National Blueberry Month
- National Icecream Month
- National Parks and Recreation Month
- National Grilling Month
- National Picnic Month
5 Tools to Get You Started with Creating Videos and GIFs
Here are a few of my favorite tools and how I use them to create posts around the calendar “days” of the month
- Easil – Easil is a great DIY Design tool for creating not only images but GIFs too. The benefit to using Easil to create GIFs is that you can animate just about every aspect of your image, not just the text. Think images, icons, illustrations, graphics AND text.
- Gifmaker – Gifmaker is a GIF editing tool that you can use to do all sorts of giffy things. This allows you to edit, crop, and create GIFs using either images or video. The best part is that you can also use Gifmaker to host GIFs on their platform. This is great for the types of GIFs that you create and want to share on your website or send by email.
- Giphy – For GIFs that I want to keep and use again and again I use my Giphy account. It’s also handy for combining video or images into GIFs.
- Wave– Wave.video is my favourite tool for creating video. It’s great for for creating social video and has a huge libraries of templates, videos, photos also audio tracks. You’ll see some videos created with Wave above. See more about Wave.video here.
- Over – Over is a great app for creating short videos too. It is one of the best apps for creating visual content in general, but when it comes to cool video templates, it has a growing library.
Want more Social Media Content Calendar ideas?
Check out our complete 12-month calendar for 2020 in this post:
Over to You
What are your Favourite July Social Media holidays? Let me know in the comments below.
Donna is a Visual Content Strategist and founder of Socially Sorted, listed by Forbes as a “Top 5 Social Media Blog You Need to Know About in 2019”. Donna helps brands leverage the power of visual storytelling and content strategy in their business. Her content has been featured in publications such as Forbes and Entrepreneur Online and she is a contributor to Social Media Examiner. Donna speaks about digital and visual content for the marketing and tourism industries internationally.